[Qemu-discuss] Connecting two qemu VMs

From: Dominik G.
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Connecting two qemu VMs
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 13:15:56 +0100

Is it possible to connect two qemu instances with each other via TCP
or socket and have both connected with the host network using only
user networking (SLIRP)?
Basically like
http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking#User_Networking_.28SLIRP.29
but with a second qemu VM:

+-----------------+        +-----------------+
|  qemu Process 1 |        |  qemu Process 2 |
|  +---------+    |        |  +---------+    |
|  |         |    |        |  |         |    |
|  | Guest 1 |    |        |  | Guest 2 |    |
|  |         |    |        |  |         |    |
|  +----+----+    |        |  +----+----+    |
|       |         |        |       |         |
|       |         |        |       |         |
| =+====+===+========TCP/==========+         |
|  |        |     | Socket |                 |
|  |       DNS    |        +-----------------+
|  |              |
+--|--------------+

Host network

I am able to do this with a third qemu VM which acts as a router for
the two VMs and I can get two qemu VMs to talk to each other but I
cannot get the one VM to use the built-in gateway and DNS of the
second one.

I know that there are ways other than SLIRP which can achieve this
but I want to be able to set this up without root access and I don't
care about performance since this setup is just for testing
purposes. Right now I'm just wondering if I can simplify my setup
leaving out the third router vm and just use the gateway/dns/routing
that qemu has already built in.