Re: [Qemu-discuss] Re (2): running a system installer under QEMU

From: Dale R. Worley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Re (2): running a system installer under QEMU
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 16:31:03 -0500

> From: address@hidden

> Debian Wheezy denotes an ATA disk as /dev/sdx.
> https://wiki.debian.org/Persistent_disk_names
> Likewise for a USB flash store.
>
> This QEMU assumes my /dev/sda is a SCSI?  Certainly a possible explanation.
> In my imagination, the Debian port of QEMU recognizes Debian naming
> conventions.  Perhaps not but a solution using "-disk" will help.

QEMU could easily use a different convention than the OS that it is
running on because QEMU doesn't use the name to access the OS's file
system.  QEMU has to decide "Do I present an IDE interface to the
simulated CPU, or do I present a SCSI interface?"

> From: address@hidden

> > You can adjust the disk interface that the virtual machine sees by
> > using the if= parameter of the -disk option rather than the -hda
> > option.
>
> Google "site:qemu.org -disk" doesn't pan out.  "-disk" is a new option
> not yet documented?

My mistake, it's "drive", although you've already discovered that.

Here's a copy of the basic documentation:
http://wiki.qemu.org/download/qemu-doc.html

> From: address@hidden

> Is that plausable?  Is the "media=disk" suboption necessary?

I'm sure that the simulated drive for a "disk" appears to the guest
software differently than the simulated drive for a "cdrom".

Dale