[Qemu-discuss] Re (2): running a system installer under QEMU

From: peter
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Re (2): running a system installer under QEMU
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 09:32:53 -0700

From:   address@hidden (Dale R. Worley)
Date:   Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:58:29 -0400
> I suspect what you mean is, "Having loaded the hard drive within the
> virtual machine, I can't boot the physical machine off the hard
> drive."

Exactly.

> Also, I note at the URL you provided the statement "These instructions
> are tentative and do not yet yield a working Oberon system."

Well, I wrote that section.  When the instructions work, the notice
will be removed.

> The problem that I most expect is the matter of disk interfaces.  The
> boot loader for reading a SCSI disk might be quite different from the
> boot loader for reading an IDE disk.

Nice insight!  Thanks!

> You can adjust the disk interface that the virtual machine sees by
> using the if= parameter of the -disk option rather than the -hda
> option.

Google "site:qemu.org -disk" doesn't pan out.  "-disk" is a new option
not yet documented?

Thanks again,           ... Peter E.

--
123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 12
Tel +1 360 639 0202  http://carnot.yi.org/  Bcc: peter at easthope. ca