Re: [Qemu-discuss] Newbie: Running Solaris8/SPARC binaries / shared obje

From: Jerry Stuckle
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Newbie: Running Solaris8/SPARC binaries / shared objects on x86-Linux Machines
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 08:56:24 -0400

On 8/31/2014 12:44 AM, Dennis Luehring wrote:
> Am 30.08.2014 23:18, schrieb Tony Su:
>>   Need some clarification,
>> Are you really asking how to run Solaris on x86 or the other way
>> around? I'm going to assume you have a Solaris application running on
>> SPARC hardware and you want to explore options running on Linux
>> instead because it doesn't make much sense to me that you would want
>> to continue to run on ancient hardware. Even consumer grade
>> contemporary hardware is probably a better economic decision than to
>> run on that old hardware.
>
> "I want to replace the SPARC by a state-of-the art Linux / x86 computer"
>
> isn't that clear enough - don't assume - read the email

Which didn't answer Tony's question - the same one I had.  Maybe the
problem is not in his reading - but your description.

Of course insulting people trying to help you is a great way to
encourage people to give you assistance - especially when you're not
paying them for it.

>> So, what are your options?
>> Let's say your application only exists running on Solaris 8 and it
>> requires access to, and uses SPARC hardware.
>> In this case, you might consider cobbling together a SPARC environment
>> using QEMU emulation.QEMU should support all Sun SPARC CPUs and most
>> likely any SPARC I/O devices as well.
>
> thats new to me - the SPARC part of qemu seems to be in an sometimes
> very experimental state

I haven't tried it personally but I think a friend of mine has.
Unfortunately, it's a long weekend here and he's gone to the beach, so I
won't be able to talk to him until at least Tuesday or Wednesday.

>> Let's say your app only runs on Solaris 8 but does not require access
>> to SPARC hardware.
>> In this case, you can use almost any virtualization that exists
>> because various Solaris runs on x86 (I haven't checked whether Solaris
>> 8 is one of them). You should be able to use KVM, VMware, VirtualBox,
>> Parallels, Hyper-V(I'm guessing), Xen or anything else for better
>> performance.
>>

> but the current system is SPARC so no x86 virtualizer can help to run
> its SPARC code
> on x86 - or how is that possible?

He didn't say an x86 virtualizer.  But this goes back to the very first
question.

Jerry