[Qemu-discuss] Live migration between different versions of qemu

From: Raphael Thoma
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Live migration between different versions of qemu
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:37:13 +0200

Hi there

We're planning to upgrade our existing ubuntu 12.04 (with qemu
1.0+noroms-0ubuntu14.15) to ubuntu 14.04 (with qemu 2.0.0+dfsg-2ubuntu1.2).
Unfortunately it seems that this upgrade breaks the live-migration feature
without providing much information about the reason:

# echo 'info migrate' |  /usr/bin/socat STDIO
UNIX-CONNECT:/var/run/ganeti/kvm-hypervisor/ctrl/disk-test.monitor
QEMU 1.0 monitor - type 'help' for more information
(qemu) info migrate
Migration status: failed

I guess that failed state pops up due to the different KVM versions - however
that's just an educated guess. Is there any way to get further information
about the reason of a failed migration? Is a migration from qemu v.1.x to v.2.x
possible at all? The same commands are working between hosts with installed
version 1 of qemu.

Best regards,
Raphael Thoma