Re: [Qemu-discuss] manipulating raw disk image as non-root user

From: Kris
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] manipulating raw disk image as non-root user
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 12:30:43 +0800

How about to use sudo to run it.

Best regards,
Kris

在 2014年8月3日,上午10:05,Dallas Clement <address@hidden> 写道:

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 8:46 PM, Dale R. Worley <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Dallas Clement <address@hidden>
>
> I would like to be able to create, partition, format, mount, and populate a
> raw disk image file as a non-root user.  I am able to create the image file
> with dd and partition it with parted as a non-root user.  I have not
> figured out a way to format, mount, and populate it as a non-root user.
>  Tools such as losetup and kpartx seem perfect for the task, but
> unfortunately require root.
>
> Is it possible to do what I want with qemu?

Since you can run Qemu as a non-root user, and you can present an
arbitrary file to it as a disk, it seems that you should be able to
use the standard disk tools within a Qemu guest to do what you want.

Dale

Thanks Dale.  I was hoping I could do something like this.  I'll explore that further.

> Why do you wish to avoid root?

Tony, I am wanting to run as non-root because it is my Jenkins build-server that will be doing all of this which needs to run as non-root for security sake.  I want the last stage of my build to produce a uSD card image.