Re: [Qemu-discuss] connect qemu to internet

From: Dale R. Worley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] connect qemu to internet
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:51:42 -0400

> From: Fatemeh Mehdizadeh <address@hidden>
>
>  I don't have dhcp server so, I cannot use dhcp in my network. I used TAP
> to connect to internet. I should install a package from debian repository
> on my qemu guest (vyatta) because of this problem I cannot connect to
> repository.

If you're having trouble getting Qemu networking to work, I suggest
you use "user" networking.  That is described in
http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking#User_Networking_.28SLIRP.29
There are a number of deficiencies to "user" networking, but it is the
simplest method to set up, and it requires no changes to the
networking configuration on the host.  In particular, the guest sees a
proper DHCP server, but that server is entirely simulated by Qemu.
(See the image at that URL for details.)

Once you get user networking to work for you, then get tap networking
working.  There is a fairly good thread on qemu-discuss describing
what is necessary; it has the subject "Getting tap networking
working".

In regard to the method you are now using, I note two issues:

/sbin/ifconfig br0 $P37P1IPADDR netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast $BROADCAST

It is not necessary to provide br0 with an address, mask, etc.,
because the "bridge interface" is not used to send or receive
packets.  On the other hand, it *is* necessary to do "ifconfig br0 up"
in order to allow the bridge to transfer packets.

Dale