Re: [Qemu-discuss] Qemu user net not getting IP, occationally

From: Dale R. Worley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Qemu user net not getting IP, occationally
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 21:22:47 -0400

> From: Josh Powers <address@hidden>
>
> I am spinning up many QEMU instances at a time and occasionally one
> will come up with eth0 (the default user net) not having an IP.  If I
> do a restart from within the guest, in this case just a sudo reboot,
> it always comes back up with an IP.  Now I am under the impression the
> user net uses dhcp to give out the IP's to the guests but I dont
> really know where to begin to track down why occasionally it fails to
> give out an IP to one of the guests.
>
> Any ideas?

To start, diagnose it like any network problem:  If you find an
instance where the networking doesn't work, check the status of the
networking:

$ ifconfig eth0
does it show an IP address for eth0?

$ route -n
does it provide a route to the gateway for 0.0.0.0

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
does it give the right DNS server address

If all of those give decent data, then the problem is likely in the
network that Qemu is simulating.  If one of those is wrong, then the
guest OS isn't getting networking set up correctly.

(Is there a way to force Qemu to log all packets that appear on the
'user' network starting at the beginning?)

Dale