Re: [Qemu-discuss] Configuring the VM's display

From: Dale R. Worley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Configuring the VM's display
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 14:47:00 -0400

> But easier than that is to direct Anaconda (the Fedora Linux
> installer) to use a lower resolution.  That doesn't work as smoothly
> as it should, either, but this procedure works:
>
>     To fix this, the install system needs to run with the boot parameters
>     "nomodeset resolution=1024x768".  To do this, at the start screen, use
>     the arrow keys to select "Install", then type Esc.  This gives the
>     prompt "boot:".  Give it the command "linux nomodeset
>     resolution=1024x768", then type Return.
>
> Since I am not installing X Windows, when I boot the resulting Linux
> system, it comes up in text mode with a low resolution.

For ordinary operation, it looks like the initial graphic resoution is
controlled by the
        set gfxpayload=[value]
lines in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.  The default is "keep", which seems to
leave the screen in whatever configuration the VGA card was at initial
boot.  To specify a particular size, you can replace "keep" with, say,
"1024x768".  More details are at
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/gfxpayload.html

Dale