Re: [Qemu-discuss] Migrating Windows XP vm from VirtualBox to Qemu/KVM

From: Sebastian Arcus
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Migrating Windows XP vm from VirtualBox to Qemu/KVM
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 08:29:06 +0000

On 27/11/13 19:45, Tony Su wrote:

Although the details in the following article are a bit dated, there is good stuff here. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMagazine/HowTo/Switching_From_VMWare_To_VirtualBox:_.vmdk_To_.vdi_Using_Qemu_+_VdiTool

Note that

There ia link to another article re migrating Windows Guests
That once the disk image is converted to raw, from there you often can use "as is" because it's supported nearly universally with all virtualization technologies or take the additional step to convert to a native format.

Tony

Thanks Tony but I'm not sure the article applies. It is about converting from VMware to VirtualBox. I was trying to switch from VirtualBox to qemu. Also - I've already followed the necessary steps, and converted the image to raw format. However, qemu wasn't even able to get to the point of starting Windows - it seemed to get stuck during the bios hardware detection phase.