[Qemu-discuss] how to disable VNC in qemu?

From: chronodekar
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] how to disable VNC in qemu?
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 11:47:09 +0530

Hello everyone,

I've been following the instructions on the following site to cross-compile the linux kernel, uboot and to run them off qemu.
http://www.linuxforu.com/2011/06/qemu-for-embedded-systems-development-part-1/

The actual instructions on the site are rather old (they refer qemu version 0.14.0, while the latest is 1.6 - I think). I had to improvise on some of the instructions mentioned there. But the short version of events is this,

I downloaded version 1.6.0 of qemu sources from this site;
http://wiki.qemu.org/Download

Then I built it using these commands,

./configure --target-list="arm-softmmu arm-linux-user"
make

I did NOT run "make install". Chances are, that I would be fiddling around with multiple versions and to keep things separate, want to be able to clean things up by deleting the top level source folder. Then, I built the linux kernel and tried running it with this command,

./qemu-1.6.0/arm-softmmu/qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -m 128M -kernel linux-3.11.2/arch/arm/boot/uImage

The following came as output,

oss: Could not initialize DAC
oss: Failed to open `/dev/dsp'
oss: Reason: No such file or directory
oss: Could not initialize DAC
oss: Failed to open `/dev/dsp'
oss: Reason: No such file or directory
audio: Failed to create voice `lm4549.out'
VNC server running on `127.0.0.1:5900'

I was expecting to see messages from UART - the kernel boot stuff. Instead, it looks like qemu is opening up a VNC session (trying to connect to the above IP gives me a black non-responsive screen).

Does anyone know how I could avoid starting the VNC session and just see boot messages instead?

Puzzled,
chronodekar