[Qemu-discuss] QEMU pre-allocation of memory

From: Bhasker C V
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] QEMU pre-allocation of memory
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 17:18:38 +0100

Qemu (along with libvirt) when asked to create a machine with max 4GB RAM and current size as 1GB, the process as-such occipies 4GB of RAM which means that there is no enough RAM for other virtual machines to run.

Example: I have a system with 5GB RAM and I want to start 5 systems each with 1GB RAM but shutdown one of the systems to allocate 2GB to one other system. This does not seem to be possible now.

Can someone give me some information on this please ? Am I missing something here ? I was hoping balloon will dynamically allocate RAM and not hog it from the start of the machine.

What I am not sure here, however, is if this pre-allocation is because of libvirt or qemu.