Re: [Qemu-discuss] what does it mean for "this kernel requires an x86-64

From: John Floren
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] what does it mean for "this kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detects an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU"
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 20:58:20 -0800

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Anil Nair <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Lei,
>

>> when I boot a x86-64 kernel on my 32bit host. I think qemu should NOT
>> depend on my host
>
> To boot a 64-bit kernel you must have a processor capable of booting
> 64-bit OS, and a 64-bit OS, you can't boot a 64-bit OS in a 32-bit
> host....You can only do that if your processor support Intel
> Virtualization Technology for Intel processors and AMD V for AMD
> processors, For information on how to enabling it please refer to the
> following website,
>
> "http://hereirestinremorse.wordpress.com/virtualbox/this-kernel-requires-an-x86-64-cpu-but-only-detected-an-i686-cpu-unable-to-boot-please-use-a-kernel-appropriate-for-your-cpu/";
>
> --
> Regards,
> Anil Nair

It is, of course, *possible* to emulate a 64-bit computer on a 32-bit
hardware host, given that one Turing machine can emulate any other,
but that doesn't mean it won't be terribly slow. No KVM, that's for
sure, and somebody else would have to answer if QEMU attempts to
emulate x86_64 on 386 at all.

john