Re: [Qemu-discuss] [cros-discuss] Is there a generic qemu-system-arm bin

From: Ottavio Caruso
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] [cros-discuss] Is there a generic qemu-system-arm binary for ARM (hard float)
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 18:56:43 +0000

On 22 November 2012 18:42, Mike Frysinger <address@hidden> wrote:
> QEMU does not care about the userland ABI (softfloat/hardfloat).  qemu-arm
> works at the syscall boundary while qemu-system-arm emulates the hardware,
> so it runs a kernel, and that handles the userland itself.

I referred to hardfloat as in compiled for hf, not that it can emulate
hardfloat.

> that said, why do you want to run qemu on your ARM chromebook ?  it's
> already running arm/linux natively, so it'd make more sense to run in a
> chroot.

I want to tun the slackwarearm installer which is nothing but an
initrd image but, if you remember the other thread on cros-discuss,  I
can't extract it properly because cpio is not available on the
Chromebook. I have successfully performed Slackware installations on
the Intel arch using Qemu and I would like to replicate this on the
Chromebook. I am working on installing Slackware on a usb flash drive
reusing the Chrome OS kernel, as per Olof's tutorial.

If you ask me why I don't run Slackware in a chroot, yes I can in text
mode but I cannot start Xorg in chroot as another Xorg server is
already running on the Chromebook and that one cannot be shut down.