Re: [Qemu-discuss] A few bugs and updating QEMU

From: Dwight Schauer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] A few bugs and updating QEMU
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 22:27:39 -0500

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Jake Thomas <address@hidden> wrote:
> Also, "--cpu ?" doesn't give a list of supported cpus to emulate/kvmerize,
> but "--cpu ?d" does. Same story with "-M ?". "-M ?" doesn't work but "-M ?d"
> does.

In general, at least with most *nix shells, ? is a poor choice for an
option. It is like using * in an option. If a file or directory name
in your current directory exists, then the ? gets replaced by it (or
all of them if more than one).

I've noticed this as well with -cpu ? and the like, and use -cpu '?'
when that happens, as the ' ' suppresses the substitution.

On a similar vein, I'm seen apps use /? on Linux for help, and that is
sometimes thwarted as well.