[Qemu-discuss] Debian running in a Windows 7 host in user mode

From: Rod Pinna
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Debian running in a Windows 7 host in user mode
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 15:45:15 +0800

Hi all,

I've spent a couple of days searching the net, but not found a solution to my problem.

My ultimate aim is to have a qemu machine, running off a portable HD that requires no software to be installed on the host; hence the need to get user mode networking going. Everything I've found on the net seems to use Tap mode.

Anyway, the command line is

qemu-system-i386.exe  -L Bios -m 512M -vga std -boot menu=on -hda c.qcow2

The network device seems to be recognised. From the qemu monitor I get the network devices being visible.

I get
VLAN 0 devices:
  user.0: type=user,net=10.0.2.0,restrict=off
  e1000.0: type=nic,model=e1000,amcaddr=52:54:0:12:34:56

From within the debian guest I have a device shown from ifconfig (sorry - can't copy from the window). I can ping 10.0.2.15 within the guest.

I cannot however see ftp.au.debian.org from the guest though (which I can from the windows host). I suspect it is an issue with the DNS, but I'm not sure. If this is the case, I haven't been able to work out whether it is a problem with the Windows 7 host, or the debian guest. Or if it is another issue entirely.

Sorry for posting this - the use of the user network function on a windows host either doesn't seem to be used much, or else it hasn't caused anyone else any issues, as I haven't been able to find any hints on the net.

Thanks alot,
Rod