Re: [Qemu-discuss] no network connection in a windows xp guest

From: Mike Lovell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] no network connection in a windows xp guest
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:52:33 -0700

On 01/26/2012 05:10 AM, Thilo Rießner wrote:
The guest is set up to get its configuration via dhcp, alternative it is
assigned the address 10.0.2.16 (instead of 10.0.2.15 if dhcp would have
worked). Obviously the traffic into the guest fails, where as the traffic out
of the guest works (see the "info usernet" output). This is also shown in the
status window of the lan connection. I can see outgoing packets, but no
incomming (at least with the pcnet card, with the rtl8139 I see the
connections in the qemu-console but in the status window of the lan connection
within xp there are no in/out packets counted). Obviously the network card has
an influence to the (partial) working, so I tried the virtio card. No change,
still just outgoing packages :-(

No to both. The traffic goes outside properly as we can see from the responses
of the printers to the question on the 1900 port.

hrm. i'm a little stumped then. can you try using a network backend besides user? like tap?

another thing you could try to see whats going on is to add a dump network type to the mix. using something like '-net nic,vlan=0 -net user,vlan=0 -net dump,vlan=0,file=/tmp/dump.pcap' will dump all the network traffic flowing between the usernet and the vm to the /tmp/dump.pcap file. that file can then be inspected with something like wireshark.

mike