[Qemu-discuss] Is it possible to have SDL without X?

From: Matt Graham
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Is it possible to have SDL without X?
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 02:20:42 +0000

Hello,

I recently asked this question on the KVM mailing list, and they advised me to
ask it here.

Can a guest with SDL graphics run on a host without X? I get an error:
"init kbd.
Could not initialize SDL - exiting"

The above happens on a host with X after running "/etc/init.d/xdm stop" and
"chmod -R 777 /dev".
If I don't do the chmod, SDL complains about not being able to open the
framebuffer and exits.

The host is Debian Squeeze with the standard qemu-kvm package in their
repository (version 0.12.5).
The guest xml (libvirt) does not specify a keyboard device.
The same guest runs fine under X.

If there is any other information that could be useful, I will be very happy to
provide it.

Thanks!
Matt