qemu-devel

Re: Windows QXL Display Driver

From: Geoffrey McRae
Subject: Re: Windows QXL Display Driver
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 01:30:53 +1000

On 2022-05-24 01:28, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 12:35:49AM +1000, Geoffrey McRae wrote:
Hi Gerd,

Over the past few weeks I have been adding spice display support to Looking Glass as a fallback mechanism for during system boot (or diags) before our application is loaded in the guest VM. The idea is to have the VFIO GPU duplicate it's output to the QXL device, which works fine until you load the
QXL display driver.

The issue is that once the driver is loaded windows removes the option to
duplicate the output.

Just don't load the driver then? Or use stdvga instead? Shouldn't make
a big difference performance-wise given that qxl supports 2d accel only
which is pretty much dead these days.

This is what we will advise people but if possible we would like to avoid doing so as we know we are going to get people insisting on installing the driver anyway. We are basically trying to make this work in a way that we don't have to deal with a lot of support issues.

Is this something that needs to be tweaked in the
driver to allow this? or is there a technical reason why this can't be done?

I don't have much insight into the inner workings of the qxl windows
driver, sorry.

No worries, thanks for your time.

take care,
  Gerd