qemu-devel

Re: Getting rid of the last bits of QEMU's 'ad-hoc CI' for merges

From: Cédric Le Goater
Subject: Re: Getting rid of the last bits of QEMU's 'ad-hoc CI' for merges
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 16:50:29 +0200

On 5/16/22 15:55, Peter Maydell wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2022 at 14:51, Cédric Le Goater <clg@kaod.org> wrote:

On 5/16/22 14:43, Peter Maydell wrote:
I think we can get away with just dropping ppc64be -- we have
coverage for it as a cross-compile setup, and hopefully the
s390x CI runner will catch the various "fails tests on big-endian host"
issues. (Alternatively if anybody has a ppc64be machine they'd like
to let us run a gitlab CI runner on, we could do that :-))

No recent HW (P8 and above) would run a PPC64 BE distro if LE is
supported by HW.

FWIW, the machine I use for ad-hoc CI is one in the gcc compile
farm, which is supposedly a "IBM POWER8 8284-22A", running Debian sid.

Since the P8 have been around (~2014), the focus is really on LE.
I think debian is the last distro still providing BE binaries.
But no iso, you have to start with a debian 1O and do the upgrade.

If BE PPC is fading away then that's another argument for
living with the loss of CI coverage, I guess.

yes.

It would good to keep a BE host for test coverage. It doesn't have
to be ppc64be if it is too complex to maintain.

I can help on setting up a debian BE sid vm on the above IBM POWER8
8284-22A system if you need to. I have an image ready to use.

Thanks,

C.