qemu-devel

Re: Vote against removing the bluetooth subsystem from Quemu.

From: Christophe de Dinechin
Subject: Re: Vote against removing the bluetooth subsystem from Quemu.
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 15:23:57 +0100

> On 17 Dec 2019, at 15:11, Andreas Scheucher <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I found following note in the Qemu documentation: This option and the whole
> bluetooth subsystem is considered as deprecated. If you still use it, please
> send a mail to address@hidden where you describe your usecase.
>
> Here I am :)
>
> As GPU passthrough is becoming more and more common (to run Linux / Windows /
> Mac OS X simultaneously on the same host to prevent multiboot) on desktop
> systems, support for the use of the host Bluetooth device in Quemu VMs for
> sure will be a common use case: https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/
>
> For me personally I just want to set up a setup supporting Windows & Linux to
> use the first strong nVidia GPU for occasional gaming on Windows and video
> editing with DaVinci Resolve under CentOs.
> On the second AMD GPU I plan to install a Mac OS X VM, which for sure needs
> some Bluetooth support for a Magic Mouse 2 and maybe a Bluetooth Keyboard.

For what it’s worth, I had mixed results getting standard GPUs to be recognized
by macOS as pass-through. The list of GPUs that macOS drivers acknowledge is
smaller. At least that’s the case for NVIDIA cards.

Regarding the Bluetooth use case, why would you need the Magic Mouse to be
exposed directly to the guest? Is that to get the extra features of the mouse,
like gestures? Or as a way to have one keyboard dedicated to the VM? I’m asking
because I’m using a Magic Trackpad connected to a Mac Laptop and often interact
with macOS VMs running on a distant machine over Screen Sharing, and I’ve not
noticed any sensible loss in functionality in doing so. Manu gestures just
work. Of course, it’s possible that Apple Screen Sharing is doing something
smart there, and that you would not get that benefit if your client is not
itself running macOS. My experience with VNC clients connecting to macOS VMs
was nowhere as smooth.