qemu-devel

Re: virtiofsd: Where should it live?

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: virtiofsd: Where should it live?
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 15:55:54 +0000

* Markus Armbruster (address@hidden) wrote:
> Thomas Huth <address@hidden> writes:

> >> Agree.
> >>
> >> We have source for several separate programs in the root directory
> >> already: qemu-bridge-helper, qemu-edid, qemu-img, qemu-io, qemu-nbd,
> >> qemu-keymap, qemu-seccomp, qemu-ga.  Just a .c file when that suffixes,
> >> else a subdirectory, except for qemu-io, which is two .c files in the
> >> root, plus include/qemu-io.h.  Putting virtiofsd/ there follows
> >> qemu-ga's precedence.
> >
> > IMHO the root directory is still way too overcrowded. Maybe we should
> > simply introduce a "tools" subdirectory?
>
> Maybe.  In general, I prefer my source trees shallow.

I think I agree with Thomas that it should be in a subdirectory for all
tools like that; creating virtiofsd at the top level feels wrong to me
since it's just too specific.  Someone please pick a name :-)

> We've sucked at keeping new files out of the root that don't belong
> there.  Mending our ways going forward is just one half of the fix.  The
> other half is cleaning up the mess we made.

It's been getting better over time mostly.
We could lose qemu-bridge-helper.c into this new directory.

Dave