pspp-dev

Re: windows installers

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: windows installers
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 22:41:43 -0700

It turns out to be a lot easier on Fedora, which I switched to a while back
because of hardware compatibility problems with Debian.  On Fedora,
you just do "dnf install mingw64-..." because they've already packaged
a ton of cross-compiled versions of software. I only had to specially
build spread-sheet-widget.

I configured OK and installed with:
make -j128 install install-html install-pdf DESTDIR=$PWD/inst

but
make -j128 Windows/installers DESTDIR=$PWD/inst
is just an exercise in frustration because
    cp `$(CC) -print-file-name=libwinpthread-1.dll` $@
just prints libwinpthread-1.dll even though I do have that dll in
/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/bin/libwinpthread-1.dll
and because
    cp $(environment_dir)/bin/*.dll $@
is busted because it expands to
cp $(echo -fstack-protector -lssp | /usr/bin/sed -e 's/^-L//' -e
's|/lib$||')/bin/*.dll Windows/nsis-bin
which obviously isn't helpful.

I played with this for a while but I didn't come up with anything
satisfying.

It's very frustrating that there are so many Windows users but no
Windows developers. I would rather spend my time on features, not
on supporting proprietary operating systems.