pspp-dev

Re: [bug #48040] GLM produces wrong output

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: [bug #48040] GLM produces wrong output
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 08:22:32 +0200

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 09:31:25PM -0500, Alan Mead wrote:
     John,

     Sorry for the delay.

     Attached is the SPSS output.

     I also ran PSPP and I notice that PSPP calculates negative SS for this
     analysis, which produces negative MS, Negative F's, etc.

     If I add "select if( not sysmis(agree_score))." before GLM, I reproduce
     the SPSS output.  Seems like not treating missing values is part (or the
     entirety?) of the problem? I wondered if perhaps SPSS 24 might mark
     missing values in a new way that is confusing to PSPP? But that's pure
     hypothesizing...

Thanks Alan,

You are right - this is entirely due to missing values.  I'm somewhat relieved
that it is not something more fundamental.

But the problem I see now is that SPSS does not document how it treats missings.

Perhaps you could do some experiments.  For example, do missing values in the
factor variables
get treated as a separate factor value or does the case get simply dropped?

And what about the dependent variables? If there are say 2 dependent variables
and one
is missing  what happens then?  Is the case dropped for both anayses or just
the one that is missing?

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encryted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3