pspp-dev

Re: Proposal for new art for GNU PSPP

From: Bastián Díaz
Subject: Re: Proposal for new art for GNU PSPP
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 18:12:30 -0400

        (I particularly like the ROC curve and reliability pictograms)

Thank you. Our idea was to take concepts from SPSS and other software,
however, I need to create an identity for PSPP, besides making things
simple for the end user. Some pictograms do not like at all, but as
progress is made, we can create something better.

        I'm not sure what you are suggesting.  Are you suggesting that
        we leave just the Analyze menu
        without icons, or all the menus?

Our suggestion is to not use icons on menus staying at the top (file,
edit, view, data, etc.), as these menus should be clean and show
keyboard shortcuts (where available).

We believe that the pictograms should be used primarily in the toolbar
or menus that require action by working directly with the grid. (if you
do not understand the second part, I made a demo with some examples)

        Also, I have a question.  Where do you envisage that the
        alignment icons (left, centre, right)
        should appear?

At first, these icons were meant to replace it its homonyms in words, in
the view of variables. This, for the reason that a symbol can be
understood, indistinct language used.

Then I realized that if only icons are used the width of the column
"align" anyway vary (by column name). But these icons can be integrated
into the same menu on the left or right of the word (as in SPSS). That
would help to improve the level of processing to perform an action.

Same for "measure" (nominal, ordinal scale). → At this point do not know
if it can be determined after selecting an option in "variable type" the
appropriate icon (eg if it is a date, show in selecting those options).

As I mentioned above, I made a mockup (I apologize in advance, because I
did not think quickly and properly aligning and sizes).

From left to right:
Picture 1. I think that kind of modal dialogs, somewhere must have the
same icon used in the toolbar. This will help to remember quickly, a new
user (or expert) to associate the symbol with its function.

Picture 2 and 3. This is what I meant by menus that require action on
the grid. About the context menu which appears "copy, cut, paste, etc."
also think it should stay clean

Picture 4 and 5. This shows graphically where he hoped icons alignment
and measurement.

Picture 6 and 7: I think using icons in those columns, it would help to
have an average fixed columns as representing the number of variables or
cases, indistinct language.

--
Bastián Díaz