pspp-dev

Re: makefile improvements

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: makefile improvements
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:46:57 -0700

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 08:56:08AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>
>      >   $(POFILES): $(POTFILE)
>      >        $(MSGMERGE) $(top_srcdir)/$@ $(top_srcdir)/$(POTFILE) -o $@
>      >
>      > $(POTFILE) is a generated file, so it will be in $(top_builddir) not
>      > $(top_srcdir).
>
>      I hadn't realize that.
>
>      When we make a distribution with "make dist", $(POTFILE) will be
>      distributed and thus it will be in the source directory.  Does
>      this mean that we have to cope with both possible locations?
>
> Is that something we can change?  Do we really need pspp.pot to be in
> the tarball?

I think that translationproject.org needs it: when I send them a
new tarball for translation, they extract pspp.pot from it.  At
least, I think that's how it works.

> If not, then I guess we will indeed have to cope with both
> locations.  And that is of course why the VPATH feature and the
> $< variable was invented.

Yes, obviously.  But I'd like to support BSD make here, and it
doesn't support $< for target rules, and I don't see a way to
write this as an implicit rule.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org