pspp-dev

Re: combining string values

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: combining string values
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 13:10:16 -0800

Jason Stover <address@hidden> writes:

> I need to combine multiple string values into a single
> string, in a one-to-one way. For example, in the following
> data set, there are two variables, each with two values:
>
>       var1            var2
>       ae              f
>       a               ef
>
> I don't want to just concatenate the values because
> I would have aef in both cases.

If you strip the whitespace at the end of each string, this is
true.  If you retain the whitespace, then you have "aef " and "a
ef", which are of course different.

> I can work around this by using strtol, or something
> like it.

I don't see how strtol is relevant?

> Two questions:
>
> 1. Is there some other function I should use?

Other than...?

> 2. Will this approach cause problems in the future if the union value
> contains a long string?

I'll fix up any problems with union value before I offer up the
related changes.  I'm working on that now (I've had a few hours a
day to work on this, for the last few days).
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org