pspp-dev

Re: Failure to build on Fedora 9

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Failure to build on Fedora 9
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 08:55:48 -0700

Matej Cepl <address@hidden> writes:

> Are you sure, you are not joking? I should spend couple of hours
> destroying my toolchain (these packages are all dependent on each
> other, so maybe even some recompilation would be needed) just in
> order to prove that your code is broken as it is described on the
> website you himself quote? What about other way -- you fixing
> your code for the known bugs, and me testing it afterwards?

It's not PSPP's code that is broken.  PSPP uses only "static
inline", which, as the GCC manual says, has the same semantics
under both GCC and C99 interpretations of inline.  This is
intentional, at least on my part.  (If you discover any
exceptions, please do let us know, and we will fix it.)

It's GSL that has broken code with semantics that differ between
the GCC and C99 interpretations of inline.  If you want to be
shrill about this problem, be shrill about it to the GSL
developers, because they are the ones with the power to fix it.

By the way, I'm surprised that Red Hat (Fedora?) can't install
more than one version of GCC at a time.  On my Debian box here, I
have GCC 2.95, 3.4, 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3, and all it took was
"apt-get install".
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org