pspp-dev

Re: [patch #6071] Resing/Deleting/Inserting variables in GUI

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: [patch #6071] Resing/Deleting/Inserting variables in GUI
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:22:25 +0800

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 04:02:46AM +0000, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     Is the datasheet.c assertion correct?  I think that the test
     should be "<=" not "<".

I don't think so.  axis_get_cnt returns the number of columns, not the
highest column number ?

        It seems to me that it's only appropriate in the
     particular case where the data is coming from something like a datasheet,
     where the case data is automatically rearranged as the dictionary is
     manipulated.  And in that case, I don't understand why just doing
     set_var_width as-is and then dict_compact on its dictionary wouldn't have
the
     same effect.

The problem with dict_compact is that it can change the order of the
case indices, which would put the datasheet and the dictionary out of
sync.

I thought about this for a while and concluded that the correct
solution would be to use libpspp/tower.c to maintain the case indices
for dictionary.c  Then dict_compact becomes obsolete.  I just wasn't
sure if it was worth the effort.   What do you think ?

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3