pspp-dev

Re: obsd build trouble

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: obsd build trouble
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:04:32 +0800

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:19:08PM -0500, Jason Stover wrote:
     On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:45:23AM +0800, John Darrington wrote:
     > This is turning out to be a lot harder than I envisaged.
     >
     > How much importance do we want to attribute to building with a non-GNU
     > make?

     Not as much importance as fixing a lot of other things first. The GNU
     maintainer doc says:

     "Supporting other platforms is optional -- we do it when that seems like a
     good idea, but we don't consider it obligatory. If the users don't
     take care of a certain platform, you may have to desupport it unless
     and until users come forward to help. Conversely, if a user offers
     changes to support an additional platform, you will probably want to
     install them, but you don't have to. If you feel the changes are
     complex and ugly, if you think that they will increase the burden of
     future maintenance, you can and should reject them. This includes both
     free platforms such as NetBSD or FreeBSD ...."

     Based on this, I'd say it should be my problem, especially since PSPP
     builds on BSD using GNU make, and it runs fine.

     Where does the trouble lie? (Or lay?)

The main problems are with built sources, like those generated from .q
files and the perl generated ones in src/language/expressions.  BSD
make has subtly different ways of dealing with a) the dependencies and
b) the implicit rules to generate them.

The automake manual says that automake's job is to take the burden of
Makefile maintenance from our shoulders and place it on the autmake
mainteners' load.  So perhaps I'll ask on their mailing list about
this.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3