pspp-dev

Re: Renaming

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Renaming
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:49:39 -0800

[include style]
> I think there are pros and cons to both approaches:
>
>                Advantages               Disadvantages
>
> -I         The integrity of the         Namespace clashes.
>            dependencies is enforced.
>
>          Moving files between dirs
>          is easy.
>
> #include   Unambiguous.                 Potentionally long #includes.
>
>                                         Encourages promiscuous
>                                         #inclusion of inappropriate
>                                         files.
>
>                                       Moving files between
>                                       directories involves changing
>                                       *every* #include which
>                                       references them.

I haven't worked before on projects where the former style (many
-I directives) was used.  I feel that the
advantages/disadvantages of moving files between directories and
short/long #include directives are really non-issues.  The former
is a rare event.  The latter is not a big deal because every
#include needs a full line to itself anyhow.

That leaves the issue of the integrity of dependencies.  This is
something I have never thought about before.  At the moment, I
don't have a strong opinion either way.  If anyone else on the
list does, I would like to hear about it.
--
"I admire him, I frankly confess it; and when his time comes
 I shall buy a piece of the rope for a keepsake."