pspp-dev

Re: linreg

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: linreg
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:12:28 +0800

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 09:38:17AM -0500, Jason Stover wrote:
     I originally meant lib/linreg to be a general purpose linear
     regression library, ignorant of variable structures and other features
     specific to PSPP. But that approach made regression.q too complicated,
     so I made the linreg library aware of variable/value structure and
     xnmalloc. That makes coding other procedures that use linreg
     easier. The approach also makes linreg more dependent on PSPP, but
     only through the variable/value structures and xnmalloc.

     I intend to use linreg in other procedures, too. I'm not sure where it
     belongs in the new directory tree. Maybe there should be a 'statlib'
     library with subdirectories for statistical libraries; something
     eventually designed to make contributing easier for statistical
     programmers who do not know about PSPP internals.

I think we need to decide whether or not linreg is going to be pspp
aware. If it is, then it can go in a 'statlib' library, otherwise it
can stay where it is.

If the model is chosen right, then the API can be designed without
making things overly complicated for code which uses it.  It does
however mean extra work getting it right.   I had a brief look at the
code in linreg, and it seems that it's only coefficients.c which is
very closely dependent upon other parts of pspp.

Are there currently any tests for the regression command?

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3