pspp-dev

Re: pspp development

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: pspp development
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 17:59:30 -0800

> Last night I committed a major change to the GUI code.  So far as
> users are concerned, there are no substantial differences, but I've
> fundamentally changed the way that GtkSheet works, and this should
> allow us to use it for casefiles of any length.  Previously, GtkSheet
> insisted on allocating a string for every cell, which would not scale
> for really big data files.

Sounds great!

> Anyway I think the time has come for psppire to be promoted into the
> main codebase, and for some reorganisation of the pspp source files
> into seperate subdirectories as discussed before.

I agree with the first part, at least.  The second is no fun to
do, but maybe you're right that it's time.

Which part would you prefer to do first?  i.e. add in psppire,
then reorganize, or the other way around?

I am going to check in the scratch files stuff in half an hour or
so.  Writing changelogs now.

> I note that savannah now supports Arch, which unlike cvs, can track
> history over file renames/moves, so it might be worth considering
> switching to Arch.  On the other hand, it's not something that I've
> ever used before.

I've used Arch a bit and didn't like the interface.  It's not
much like CVS or BitKeeper or Perforce (the other source-code
systems I've used) in usage pattern.  But I suppose I can get
used to it.  It also might have improved in the last year or so.

I'm surprised that Savannah didn't add subversion, which is more
like CVS.  Maybe it's because Arch is a GNU program and
subversion is not.
--
Ben Pfaff
email: address@hidden