pspp-dev

pspp and psppire compile experience: Fedora Core 4 and Mac OS X

From: Marshall DeBerry
Subject: pspp and psppire compile experience: Fedora Core 4 and Mac OS X
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 18:38:44 -0500

I've gotten the CVS version of pspp and psppire to compile and run under
Fedora Core 4.  (Although there is a quirk in pspp when trying to completely
exit the program at the PSPP> prompt.  If you type finish, it says you can
type exit to exit syntax, and when you type exit, it says you can type
finish (or something like that).)  The new psppire looks very nice, I need
to get one of my save files to more fully check this out.  Also, it was
helpful to read the psppire INSTALL file for what is required in terms of
the latest revs of various software, as well as the small step by step
example--that was helpful in resolving some issues as part of the compile
phase.

On my Mac, under Mac OS X, I'm having a bit of a problem in getting the CVS
version to compile.  I've done the make -f Smake, and done the configure,
and when I'm doing a make, I get the following:

Making all in linreg
if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../..  -I../.. -I../../src -I/sw/ include
-I/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Headers
-I/usr/X11R6/include -Wall -W -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -
Wpointer-arith -Wno-sign-compare -Wmissing-prototypes -ansi  -I/sw/ include
-MT sweep.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/sweep.Tpo" -c -o sweep.o sweep.c; \ then mv
-f ".deps/sweep.Tpo" ".deps/sweep.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/ sweep.Tpo"; exit
1; fi if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../..  -I../.. -I../../src -I/sw/
include -I/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Headers
-I/usr/X11R6/include -Wall -W -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -
Wpointer-arith -Wno-sign-compare -Wmissing-prototypes -ansi  -I/sw/ include
-MT linreg.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/linreg.Tpo" -c -o linreg.o linreg.c; \ then
mv -f ".deps/linreg.Tpo" ".deps/linreg.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/ linreg.Tpo";
exit 1; fi rm -f liblinreg.a ar cru liblinreg.a sweep.o linreg.o
ranlib: unrecognized option `-q'
Try `ranlib --help' for more information.
ar: internal ranlib command failed
make[3]: *** [liblinreg.a] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
Marshall-DeBerrys-Computer:~/Software/pspp mdb$

Any suggestions on this?  Not quite sure why at this point in the setup it
suddenly develops heartburn.

Thanks and Seasons Greetings to all.

Marshall