pspp-dev

Re: Licensing of PSPP manual

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Licensing of PSPP manual
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:13:06 -0800

> I was looking at implementing the random number distribution functions
> over the weekend.  It occurred to me that there is almost a 1:1
> mapping of the spss functions and those provided by libgsl.  So at a
> pinch, I could almost write a script to generate the code for me.

I've got a complete rewrite of the expression code mostly done.
I will probably check it in sometime in February.  It will
include all of the random number distribution functions.  I can't
work on it now because there are two conference deadlines between
now and Feb. 4.

So: please don't spend time on that now.

> This left the documentation to be considered.  I thought the easiest
> way would be to lift the texinfo source from the libgsl manual, run a
> sed script through it to make it applicable to PSPP, and paste the
> result straight into the PSPP manual.
>
> Unfortunately I can't do this, because the libgsl manual is FDL
> whereas the PSPP manual is GPL.  Is the manual going to stay GPL or
> will it change to FDL at some time ?

I suppose we should change it to FDL given that it's the standard
license for GNU manuals now.
--
"doe not call up Any that you can not put downe."
--H. P. Lovecraft