file permissions on joblog

From: Rob Sargent
Subject: file permissions on joblog
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 18:47:30 -0600

I'm using GNU Parallel behind not one but two intermediaries.  I submit to the first, the first wraps the jobs in a "slurm" script and submits the jobs to the second (the slurm host).

The jobs run on the slurm host under the account of the first intermediary, username and group not accessible to me.  I would like to be able to view the --joblog file but its permissions are 640.

I'm currently re-using pieces I normally run directly at the slurm host and don't have this problem - the jobs are mine.  It's quite slow to debug tests like making the joblog prior to gnu parallel call and chmod a+rw, but assume parallel would re-write the file from scratch rather than append to it.

Or perhaps I can use "--resume" from the outset, but surely that relies on a non-empty joblog?  Could I fake the first line?

Thanks
rjs