How to debug `parallel` crash?

From: Nagle, Michael F
Subject: How to debug `parallel` crash?
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 20:58:31 +0000

Hello,

First, I’d like to thank the developers and community for producing GNU Parallel and supporting it.

I use GNU parallel for a particular part of a scientific workflow, and it worked great on a previous machine. On a new machine (with many more cores), I’m now having it crash sometimes and am having trouble debugging this.

When it crashes, the terminal it is being run from crashes, so I’m left with no error message or clues I can find as to why the crash occurred. How can I figure this out?

What I’ve tried and outcomes:
1. Restarting the machine and trying again… GNU parallel never crashes the first time it is run after a restart. After several runs, it crashes every time, and the machine needs to be restarted again before it will work. This leads me to suspect some kind of zombie processes may be left behind, but I don’t see anything suspicious with `top`.
2. Looking for log files… These could be very helpful and informative if they’re out there. I looked in /var/logs/ and in the directory from which `parallel` is being run, but haven’t found logs. I haven’t been able to find info about logs in documentation. Are there logs I should be able to find, and where?

Any advice for diagnosing and troubleshooting the problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and help.

  Michael Nagle 1mr5al

Michael Nagle

PhD Candidate, Molecular and Cellular Biology

Forest Biotechnology Laboratory

Oregon State University

301-974-7221 (cell)