[Paparazzi-devel] 4.0 release preparation

From: Felix Ruess
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] 4.0 release preparation
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 17:41:42 +0100

Hi everyone,

it's about time we did some proper releases. Hence I would like to
announce the 4.0_beta branch.

I created a new milestone on github for this and you can browse the
open issues for it:
https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/issues?milestone=2&state=open

Some new fixes/changes/featues already in 4.0_beta (compared to
master) are (in no particular order and not necessarily complete):
- More cleanup towards a nicer and more flexible code structure (still
a lot to do though, but we are getting there :-)
- new module: xtend_rssi
  - reads in the pwm duty cycle from a Digi 9Xtend radio modem and
sends a message with the duty %, rssi dB above fade margin and the
datalink time, useful in checking range.
- A modification of the transport layer (pprz and xbee) in order to
allow to select the device at the message level.
- fix rc_settings: this enables you to change some settings in flight
directly from the RC, is useful if you are alone or don't have a GCS
- rotorcraft: same behaviour (gains) for AP_MODE_HOVER and NAV when
holding position
  - see http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/paparazzi-devel/2011-12/msg00058.html
- subsystems for new ahrs estimation algorithms: float_cmpl_rmat
- correction of centrifugal acceleration (needed for flying tight
circles with fixedwings) for ahrs_int_cmpl_quat and
ahrs_float_cmpl_rmat
- proper handling of BODY_TO_IMU rotations for ahrs_int_cmpl_quat and
ahrs_float_cmpl_rmat
- automatic conversion of airframe file defines (and settings) from
degrees to radians (and other units)
  - this makes the airframefile/settings much more readable
  - see http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/paparazzi-devel/2011-12/msg00096.html
- using a gyro (with IR sensors) is done via imu subsystem now as well
- make all possible status LEDs configurable (with sensible defaults
for the boards), available ones are:
  - SYS_TIME_LED, AHRS_ALIGNER_LED, BARO_LED, GPS_LED, RADIO_CONTROL_LED

Now of course we need your help in determining what is most important
for the upcoming release and needs to be included (and what will have
to wait until later).
If there isn't an issue open on something that needs fixing or an
essential feature, please tell us or directly create an issue on
github.

Cheers, Felix