Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Fwd: auto pilot

From: Gareth Roberts
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Fwd: auto pilot
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 11:50:14 -0000

Hi David,

From what I gather, you are trying to build an autohelm?
Paparazzi might be slight overkill in your case.
You already have the GPS, you don't need something lightweight, you need high current sourcing capacity so you'll have to use an external driver of some sort anyway (relay/H-Bridge).

I'd be tempted to use something like a simple arduino instead if you have some programming experience, or would be willing to learn.

There are reports of people using Arduino CANbus shields to talk to Raytheon kit over NMEA2000.
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1214384971

Arduino CANBUS here: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10039
30A DC motor driver: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10182

Paparazzi is brilliant, but possibly not the best fit for your use case.
However, this is all my opinion and others may disagree with me!

Cheers,
Gareth