pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Downloaded articles format

From: Zan Lynx
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Downloaded articles format
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 12:23:05 -0600

On 5/11/21 5:09 PM, Beata Kasprzyk wrote:
>  I would like to download the Polish Usenet articles as a .txt files. I
> am a quiet new at using Pan, but I have downloaded articles via Pan in
> the past, and they were saved in .txt format. Unfortunately now they are
> downloaded in .msg format.

A comment on using Pan for downloading NNTP as files:

Using a GUI application for this is a bit round-about. Why not download
the messages directly to files using a script language?

Both Python and Perl have NNTP modules. You could use them to go to the
NNTP server and mirror any group to a local directory. This is like
using curl or wget to fetch web pages, instead of clicking in Chrome and
then clicking "Save As" on each page.

https://docs.python.org/3/library/nntplib.html
https://perldoc.perl.org/Net::NNTP

--