pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] multi-part yenc

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] multi-part yenc
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 00:39:51 +0000 (UTC)

Bob posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:00:12 +0000 as excerpted:

> Ok. Download and install via synaptic the applications "lxsplit" and
> "pypar2".

> When you downloaded the set of files, you should always include the
> .par2 file. Don't worry about the par2 vol files yet.
> From the same directory in terminal, enter #pypar2, this will bring up a
> small gui for the app,
> Click on check, then just below that, click the par2 file interface,
> using that to select the directory and par2 file for the joined file.
> Below that box click the button 'verify' then at the bottom click "GO"
> When finished, pypar2 will tell you if any repair blocks are needed.  If
> none are needed, you are done.
>
> If it tells you that 10 blocks are needed, go back to pan and download
> the par2 volume that includes 10 blocks.
>
> it will start with 0+1, 1+2, 3+4, 7+8, etc.  In this case you would
> download the 7+8 file, as it would include 10 blocks.
>
> Once downloaded, back to pypar2 that you hopefully did not close.  this
> time click the Repair(files)
> and go again.

Very cool!  Thanks.  That's what I like about technical newsgroups/
mailinglists.  Where one person's knowledge lacks, someone else steps in
to fill the detail. =:^)

I gotta tag that in memory so I can find it again, if I ever get back
into binaries.  =:^)

(Meanwhile, the problem is often that first partial reply.  If nobody
knows enough to do that first partial reply... it's a stumper!  Then of
course there's the folks that frequently in innocence, but it sure
appears that they deliberately go out of their way to make a good reply
difficult, posting in HTML, top posting in replies, asking such vague
questions with so little information that it's impossible to answer
properly because you can't even figure out the question, etc.  That's
why, even if I don't know a lot about the subject myself, if I don't see
a reply for a bit, I'll often try to be that first reply and hopefully
either give them enough info to at least google it, or start the ball
rolling with further replies from others, of course asking the OP to help
me help them, by NOT posting in HTML, top posting, etc, and by providing
more information, where necessary.)