pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] [RFC:PATCH] implement "match only read articles" filter

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] [RFC:PATCH] implement "match only read articles" filter
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 22:24:56 +0000 (UTC)

Cal Peake posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 16:09:41 -0500 as excerpted:

> Heinrich,
>
> I'm getting a weird bug with the read/unread filters. If I leave one of
> them toggled, exit pan, then restart pan, there's a chance they'll both
> be toggled on restart. It doesn't happen every time, but something's not
> right. Can you confirm?

I routinely show only unread (hide read) in text-groups, and have been
since I started with pan in 2002.  I'm not seeing it with that toggle
here.  But it's the show only read (hide unread) toggle that's new, and I
don't think I've actually used it, yet. Could it be screwing things up?

The one thing I do have occasionally happen, that others have mentioned
too, is a header-pane column-reset, so only the score column is shown.  I
strongly suspect that has something to do with a load-time race
condition, such that the resources aren't loaded properly and most of the
columns end up at zero-width,  Anyway, it doesn't happen very often, but
when it does, it's a pain enough to get the columns set back correctly
once again, that I took a backup of the preferences file, did a diff when
the problem occurred, and now do a conditional patch (dry-run first, if
it works, patch it for real) of the prefs file, resetting any columns
that zeroed out back to their normal width, in my pan startup scripts.
So if it happens, I quit pan so the bad settings get saved and the patch
will apply, and restart again, so they get patched back to something sane.