pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] OpenSSL and the GPL: License problems

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] OpenSSL and the GPL: License problems
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 08:45:31 +0000 (UTC)

Heinrich Mueller posted on Sat, 24 Dec 2011 08:22:46 +0100 as excerpted:

> I don't see any tags in the git branch [of gnutls] leading to 2.10.5.

Was that before their conversion to git, or are there older version tags
in the gnutls git tree?

But yes, he and I are both on gentoo, which compiles from sources, so a
link to at least the tarball shouldn't be difficult to come up with as
he's referring to the current gentoo versions.  Let me look...

Here's the list of the gnutls versions gentoo offers, if you're
interested...

$ equery list -op gnutls
 * Searching for gnutls ...

[IP-] [  ] net-libs/gnutls-2.10.5:0

[-P-] [M ] net-libs/gnutls-2.12.14:0

[-P-] [M ] net-libs/gnutls-3.0.8:0

[-P-] [M ] net-libs/gnutls-3.0.9:0

In the first set of brackets, I indicates installed, P indicates the main
portage tree, and O would indicate an overlay tree.  In the second set, M
indicates hard-masked (masked as it's known to have problems or is
seriously lacking testing, but available for admins who wish to risk
unmasking for testing or because they depend on a hard-masked-for-
security version or whatever), ~ indicates testing branch for the arch
portage is configured for.  The -op in the command tell it to include
both overlays and main portage tree in addition to (the default)
installed.  The :0 after the version name indicates the slot, used when
packages can be installed in parallel.  Since they're all slot-0, gnutls
is unslotted and installing one version implies uninstalling others. (I
double-spaced to keep pan from wrapping if you have wrap turned on.)

So I have gnutls-2.10.5 installed.  It's marked stable for my arch
(amd64), and exists (as do all reported versions) in the main portage
tree.  (If there are overlays with gnutls, I don't have them
configured.)  Since all versions are slot-0, that means I can only have
one installed at a time.  All other versions are hard-masked.

To see why they are masked, I can either grep the maskfile or emerge
--pretend specific versions.  Here's the relevent entry from the grep,
with the reason (double-spaced again):

grep -B4 gnutls /p/profiles/package.mask

# Tomáš Chvátal <address@hidden> (18 Sep 2011)

# Mask latest revisions using dev-libs/nettle and app-crypt/p11-kit

# Needs tinderbox testing.

>=net-libs/gnutls-2.12

That's why the newer versions are masked as 2.12 and newer apparently
needs nettle and p11-kit.

As for the sources, the ebuild has a bash-scripted conditional with a
bunch of gentoo-specific package variables, etc, so I'll just translate
it into the URL:

ftp://gnu.org/pub/gnu/gnutls/gnutls-2.10.5.tar.bz2

Actually checking there, there's also a corresponding gpg verification
file:

ftp://gnu.org/pub/gnu/gnutls/gnutls-2.10.5.tar.bz2.sig

(There's also MS executables, presumably self-extracting archives, and
zip files for the MS users.)