pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] OpenSSL and the GPL: License problems

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] OpenSSL and the GPL: License problems
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 12:49:27 -0800

On 12/18/2011 10:15 AM, Duncan wrote:

<wholesale snippage with apologies to Duncan's carpal tunnels>

But for binary distros including both the big guys like Fedora and
Ubuntu, and binary-based distros based on source-based distros like
Sabayon (based on Gentoo), it's an ENTIRELY different matter!  They won't
be able to ship pan binaries with OpenSSL support as that'd violate pan's
GPL, which is the only thing giving them the legal right to distribute
pan binaries.

I just booted up my virtualbox install of kubuntu to see how they handle
this problem.  (I use it just to keep up
 with kde's changes.)

For example, they install a binary package of openssl (as I suspect most
other binary distributions do also) and they include a file named
/usr/share/doc/openssl/copyright.bz2
which contains a copy of the openssl credits demanded by the license.

Couldn't they also install such a file in /usr/share/doc/pan to satisfy
the openssl license?  I don't know what other binary distros do about
their packages that use openssl.

I know that you know that all the BSD's would be up shit creek without
gcc and the autotools, so I don't think they have much room to complain,
really.

In Real Life, isn't the whole fuss really about linking to closed-source
binaries?

I've been reading mailing list threads about GPL issues for years and
I still don't really understand what they're arguing about :-/