pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] at b2069b3 now -- I think I figured-out one little thing

From: SciFi
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] at b2069b3 now -- I think I figured-out one little thing (Re: ANN: SSL Support))
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 22:35:44 +0000 (UTC)

Another thing…

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 22:17:03 +0000, SciFi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (I thought I would check the list while fixing supper
>  and before laying down)
>
> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 22:32:57 +0100, Heinrich Mueller wrote:
>>
>> Am 11.11.2011 21:03, schrieb SciFi:
>>>
>>> It might be that the pem file needs to match
>>> the "officially registered" names for the certs.
>>> And for Pan keep track of that gook, somehow.   ;)
>>>
>>> (...)
>>>
>>> Does this make any sort of sense at all?
>>> (honestly asking)
>>>

>> Yes, my code as of yet reads the pem files and
>> matches them with the filename. Perhaps I'll just a map-based
>> approach with a file telling which certificate belongs to
>> which server and i just name them after the md5 checksum or
>> something.
>> That was just the simplest thing for me, because normally the
>> user doesn't rename his certificates as pan stores them automatically.
>> I think I'll implement an option in the servers.xml file.
>>
>> Cheers.
>
> Ah.
> So.
> I guess the thing to remember is something like this:
> Us mere mortals wouldn't normally need to worry about
> matching these things together properly.  We would
> expect things to "just work" by the code doing
> whatever "magic" is required.   ;)
>
> For us geeks trying to iron-out this present anomaly,
> I still cannot find what the "proper name" should be
> for the gn and gmane certs/pems.
>
> However, I suppose discovering the aw name was
> more of an "accident" it seems to work that way.  ;)
>
> I then suppose the OpenSSL APIs will have something
> to offer for the app to keep-track of these certs?
> (Other software, that support SSL, seem to handle
>  all this tracking automatically.  The app only
>  needs to know whether to use SSL-mode or not.)
>
> Thanks again.

Another thought:
I believe most apps that support SSL
will keep the cert(s) & details in RAM
for the duration of the session(s).
The app won't record anything SSL-related to disk
nor will the app "ask" to "accept" the cert.
That means there will be "handshaking"
once a session is (re)started
every time
yes every time.
This might also necessarily change the
encryption keys etc. for each session/thread
but I would think it'd be "safer" this way.

(sometimes a bit of good food
 helps my noggin do some thinkin' <g>)

(but what do I really know about this stuff)

(I will probably go lay down now)