pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] ANN: SSL Support

From: Domain Admin
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] ANN: SSL Support
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 21:38:36 -0400

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Heinrich Müller <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am Wed, 26 Oct 2011 08:39:43 +0000 schrieb SciFi:
>

> > As it is, your code seems to be working fine.
> > But I can never figure-out if we're running SSL "for reals"
> > (yes the servers did reject/not-respond-to the "plain-text" setting
> >  but I don't think that is enough proof ;) ).
> > And the doubled i/o rate calculations are something that needs further
> > study, please (this is during header-fetch _and_ downloading-binaries).
> >
> > Thank you for all your work.
>

> I'll add certificate checking for later. Then a message would pop up if
> that failed and would asked for user actions. For now, pan just assumes
> that everything is fine. Securitywise this _could_ be a problem, so I'll
> fix this is asap.

Even though I rarely use PAN anymore the work that you and others have
done has been great so I don't want this to be seen as a criticism but
I don't think the SSL support is complete unless there is certificate
checking.   The biggest attack on SSL are MITM using spoofed certs so
if someone is in a country like Libya (Or how it used to be) and
posting to a newsgroup to coordinate activities without certificate
checking they would never know that their traffic was being read as it
passed through the monitoring devices inline at the telco.   Or a more
mundane scenario may be at your local starbucks and someone plays MITM
on your traffic there.   If the library doesn't have a predefined set
of valid CA's maybe display the CA chain and information and let the
user approve it?   If that chain changes alert them?

Thank you again for all the work!