pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] [patch] Accommodating Giganews users (20-50 connections)

From: Conrad J. Sabatier
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] [patch] Accommodating Giganews users (20-50 connections)
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 11:13:48 -0500

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 14:14:19 +0200
Heinrich Mueller <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am 03.09.2011 09:03, schrieb Conrad J. Sabatier:
> > I'd like to submit the following simple patch for inclusion in the
> > master repo, to accommodate users fortunate enough to have a
> > Giganews "Diamond" account, to allow them to use their full 50(!)
> > connections.
> >
> > Or perhaps a new switch could be added to the configure script
> > which, in turn, would then apply the appropriate patch (50
> > connections for Diamond, 20 connections for
> > Platinum/Silver/Bronze/Pearl)?

[ actual patch snipped for brevity ]

> There was a _lengthy_ discussion about this. Just let it be ;)

OK.  I admit I totally missed out on the previous discussion, whenever
that took place.

It's not really that big a deal for me personally, unless some
seriously radical change occurs in the codebase which would render
applying a patch like this extraordinarily difficult.  That doesn't
seem like an imminent threat at this time.

I was mainly just thinking it might be of benefit to people who have
such accounts, but aren't especially inclined to tinker with source
code at all.  They may remain blissfully (or unhappily) unaware that it
is, in fact, possible to increase the number of connections in pan, and
rush to the incorrect judgement that pan is simply inadequate for their
needs and that they should find some other news client that will allow
them to take full advantage of the premium service they're paying for.
That would be most unfortunate, both for them and for the pan user
community in general.

But, if this has already reached "dead horse" status around here, far
be it from me to push it.  I confess to not actually knowing the "spirit
of the law", so to speak, behind the the GNKSA policy, but if it's
intent is to prohibit, or at least inhibit, news server abuse, then it
would seem to be rather at odds with those service providers for whom a
high number of connections is, in fact, a selling point, as it were.

Anyway, I really don't have much more to say on this issue.  I'll
respect the wishes of the pan developers and keep quiet on this from
here on.  Thanks for at least not jumping down my throat about it,
anyway.  :-)

Conrad

--
Conrad J. Sabatier