pan-devel

[Pan-devel] I see problem with Pan’s “http url detector”

From: SciFi
Subject: [Pan-devel] I see problem with Pan’s “http url detector”
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 09:24:23 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

We have been noticing that Pan’s “http detector” has a slight problem.

When a URL begins with the less–than sign ‘<’, but does *not* end with
a greater–than sign ‘>’, the entire balance of the message is being
hilited as if it belongs to the URL — including multiple lines and
paragraphs etc.

This works: <http://www.url.com/>
None of this very text is part of the URL.

But this causes the bug: <http://www.url.com/
Note there is no ending greater–than sign here
and all this text is being “sucked into” the Pan URL detector
up until we put the actual ‘>’ there.
See?

There is a poster frequently seen in the “worldwide” Usenet,
that uses text like this in most of her postings.  My Pan is
always flagging most of her text like this — and yes the
Pan “Copy URL” pop-up option also brings it all in, too.
(This person goes by the moniker “Isis” and is usually seen
in the DVD groups.)

I think what we need to do is automatically “end” the URL at
the same place(s) that a *non*–<> URL string is doing,
i.e. end it at any white-space, CR, LF, etc, even if the
balance of the same line contains some “junk” anyway,
but surely not including the entire multi-line paragraph etc.

I also think we need to be able to “turn off” this kind of
“detector” logic, similar to the smileys & bold/italics/etc
options we already have in Pan.  I usually leave–off these
other options, but Pan still shows me clickable URLs anyway.
(The special code for MacOSX–style link–forwarding to the
intended browser app does work nicely, but I think I’d
rather turn it off anyway. ;) )

Can anyone else see what I am seeing, here?