pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: Ping K.Haley: latest testing branch updates, I get comp

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: Ping K.Haley: latest testing branch updates, I get compiler error in post-ui.cc line 742: ‘_c lose’ not declared.
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:49:11 +0000 (UTC)

SciFi posted on Tue, 19 Oct 2010 13:04:24 +0000 as excerpted:

> I do not know what “--std=c++0x” actually means (the 0x part).

That's the latest revision of the C++ standard.  Formerly, they used two-
digit years, but that had an obvious Y2K problem, so the new one is 0x.
It tweaks the standard a bit in a few areas, mainly making it stricter,
AFAIK, such that c++0x code is conformant with the earlier standard, but
not the other way around.

gcc has the --std= directive to tell it which standard to use.

> Someone might be asking:  “What is the fuss with ‘_’ symbols?”
> Here is how I understand it:
>
> The ‘_’ prefix usually denotes such symbols are found in the /object/
> code, not the /source/ code, of most libraries, and are (made to be)
> resolved at /link/ time, and I’ve seen this a lot across different
> projects, and which works here AFAICT.

I OTOH have found _ prefixed symbols to denote internal, as opposed to
exported symbols.  But I'm not sure whether that's common practice or
defined somewhere.

> [I do still have some big problems that I’ve mentioned over the years
> on this list, mainly to do with “No Multi-threading” being done in key
> areas, that Mr.Kerr might not want to tackle, since it reminds him of
> the earlier version–0.xx.xx days <lol>]

AFAIK, Mr. Kerr is trying to find a new pan maintainer, as he doesn't
really use news himself any more and hasn't been doing much with it at
all.  K. Haley has sort of been doing it in the community, but has been
reluctant to step forward and become the official maintainer.  Last I saw
(thread on a bug, with a couple comments on the user list, AFAIK), the
discussion was headed toward some sort of what in Gentoo would be called
proxy maintainership -- Kerr keeping the official title, Haley (and those
compiling from his git repo) testing the code before it goes upstream.  In
practice that has been what's happening, but Kerr would like out of the
position entirely if someone suitable can be found to replace him, and
khaley has for private reasons been reluctant to be that person.
Unfortunately, I'm not a coder myself, tho I've been around with pan for
nearly a decade now, and do try to facilitate things on the lists to the
best of the abilities I do have.  There was a thread on the user list
(AFAIK) a few months ago with some details, a link to the bug where it had
been discussed, etc.  You can check the/your archives for more if desired.