pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: How is development going?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: How is development going?
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 09:48:00 +0000 (UTC)

"Ben Bullock" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden,
excerpted below, on  Wed, 21 May 2008 14:22:42 +0900:

> I've sent a number of bug reports and patches for Pan newsreader and
> didn't get any reply. Is the project being developed still?

As a matter of fact, I just covered that question in some detail in the
user group (well, list, but group as seen thru gmane.org, where I use pan
to participate).

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user/9728

Pretty much repeating what I said there, it's still being developed, but
Charles has a history of fits and starts in his work on it.  After the
rewrite was made public, he had over a year of nearly weekly betas, 43
releases in ~14 months, but that rate was clearly unsustainable for what
after all is nearly a one-person effort (he takes patches, but...).
Since 0.132 however, released nearly 10 months ago now on Aug 1, 2007, he
has taken a break.  As I said, fits and starts...

He's still active with GNOME and has reportedly put in a quite a bit of
work on GNOME's Transmission bittorrent client in that time (I'm a KDE
guy with pan being my only major GTK/GNOME app, thus the "reportedly" as
it's second hand info), but apparently and understandably was burnt out
on pan.

If there was a time to take a break, however, this time was somewhat
appropriate.  As I said he had been working hard on it and had 43 betas
in a bit over a year, during which he beat the rewrite into pretty decent
working shape.  There were and are a few remaining non-trivial bugs,
however, that really should be fixed before a full stable release.
However, he was apparently at a creative dead-end at the time, the bugs
weren't well known or reported altho it was known there were still some,
and it was basically time to let the existing product settle a bit and
get beat upon by the users, before what will hopefully be a final push
toward a new stable version.

Apparently, however, he never anticipated that run of betas in the first
place.  The initial rewrite release was given version number 0.90 and he
was talking about a pretty quick 1.0 stable, so it's somewhat obvious he
expected <10 "weekly" betas.  In hindsight that was wildly optimistic,
especially for a 1.0 release, but there you have it.

So after that marathon I expect in addition to being burned out, he was a
bit disillusioned/discouraged.  As I said, tho, that's sort of the
pattern.  By pattern as well, he'll be back for another round, given time.

Where it goes when he does return I'm not sure.  I guess time will tell.

Again, you can read pretty much the same thing in the user list reply I
linked, but it says it a bit differently, so maybe it's worth looking at
anyway.

What pan really needs, altho in practice I'm not sure Charles works well
that way, but anyway... what pan needs is a second developer, perhaps one
that's a bit more slow and steady, to compliment Charles' very gifted but
almost manic depressive development pattern.  I'm more of the slow and
steady type myself and have often wished... but unfortunately I'm not
skilled as a real developer, more the sysadmin scripting type of thing.
I'm not sure if no one else has had the long term interest, or if Charles
just doesn't have a personality that works well in a team type effort, or
what, but there it sits: he's still the primary developer, and pan is
still being developed, but subject to what has now become a pronounced
pattern of fits and starts, gung ho for a time, then pause, then gung ho
again, then pause.  Meanwhile, I've ended up doing what I can anchoring
the pan lists, my slow and steady style keeping me here year after year,
even thru the two plus years we thought pan had been abandoned, before
Charles made public the rewrite he had apparently been working on in
private over much of that time.

Who knows, maybe he's working on another rewrite?